The Order of the Daughters of the King is an order for women who are communicants of the Episcopal Church, churches in communion with it, or churches in the historic episcopate but not in communion with it.
Today our membership includes women in the Anglican, Episcopal, Lutheran *ELCA) and Roman Catholic churches. The Order was founded in 1885 by Margaret J. Franklin at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in New York City (now the Church of the Resurrection). Our Anglican tradition includes Episcopal oversight, recognizes that Holy Scripture contains all things necessary for salvation, acknowledges the gift of the Holy Spirit in Baptism, the real presence of our Lord in the Holy Eucharist, and worship according to The Book of Common Prayer.
Members undertake a Rule of Life, incorporating the Rule of Prayer and the Rule of Service. By reaffirmation of the promises made at Baptism, and Confirmation, a Daughter pledges herself to a life-long program of prayer, service and evangelism, dedicated to the spread of Christ’s Kingdom and the strengthening of the spiritual life of her parish.