The Rt. Rev. Lewis Bliss Whittemore was the third bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Western Michigan serving 1937-1953. Bishop Whittemore was a talented administrator and gifted pastor, bringing the diocese out of a period of financial instability and laying the foundation for growth and advancement over the next several decades.
Among his many notable accomplishments was the publication of the first diocesan newspaper, “The Bishop’s News Letter”, the designation of St. Mark’s, Grand Rapids as the diocesan Cathedral, advocating for fair treatment and consideration of those with mental illness, and the development of a robust Department of Christian Education.